A terrifying tour bus fire brought traffic to a standstill on a busy Southern California freeway Friday morning, leaving one passenger dead and a charred shell of a bus sitting along the roadside.
The deadly incident unfolded on Aug. 21 along State Route 60 in Hacienda Heights, southeast of downtown Los Angeles, according to the California Highway Patrol.
Authorities said the Mercedes tour bus was traveling east when it suddenly began experiencing mechanical problems. The driver managed to pull onto the shoulder — then spotted smoke pouring from the rear of the vehicle.
Within moments, the situation turned into a nightmare.
The driver and passengers scrambled off the bus as flames engulfed the vehicle. Firefighters rushed to the scene and battled the blaze, but after extinguishing it, crews made a devastating discovery.
One passenger who had been unaccounted for was found dead inside the bus, CHP said.
The victim’s identity has not yet been released and will be determined by the Los Angeles County Medical Examiner.
Aerial footage from KABC showed the badly burned bus parked along the freeway shoulder, with luggage belonging to passengers piled nearby.
Officials have not revealed how many people were aboard the bus when the fire started, or where the group was traveling from or headed.
Investigators are now working to determine exactly what caused the apparent mechanical problem and subsequent fire.
The blaze also created a traffic mess along the heavily traveled freeway. Two lanes remained closed as authorities examined the scene, with CHP warning motorists to expect delays.
The investigation remains ongoing.
Discover more from Red News Nation
Subscribe to get the latest posts sent to your email.

Leave a Reply